BIL’IN: remembering the 6th anniversary of Arafat’s death and more raids 12Nov10 November 13, 2010

1- Bil’in marks the 6th anniversary of Arafat’s death

Today’s demonstration in Bil’in was joined by a large number of Palestinians, Israelis and internationals. Members of the Fatah party were also present. The protesters walked together towards the Apartheid Wall, carrying posters of Yasser Arafat, in commemoration of the Fatah leader who passed away six years ago. Speeches were held by members of the Fatah movement, while Israeli soldiers were preparing to attack the peaceful demonstrators in the background. The speakers were Sultan Abu Al Enanan from the Fatah movement, Kays Abu Leyla from the Executive Committee of PLO and the political office of the Democratic Front and Basel Monsur from the Popular Committee in Bil’in. They all promised to stay strong as Arafat would have wanted them to be and to fight the occupation together.  Even before the majority of the protesters were moving forward, the soldiers started firing tear gas from where they had taken position on the road leading to the village.   Immediately the area was covered with tear gas, with canisters flying into the crowd from different directions. As a response a few youngsters threw stones to the Israeli soldiers, as a symbolic resistance to their violence. The soldiers moved into the field and continued to fire rounds of gas, and also chasing people back into the village. At one point live ammunition was fired, causing fear and the retreat of the protesters remaining in the area.
Also this Friday the tear gas canister sat fire to the ground several places, and was put out by some protesters before it spread. The demonstration lasted for about two hours. The Popular Committee and the people of Bil’in thanks their international and Israeli supporters for standing side by side with them in their struggle against Israel ‘s occupation.

2-Israeli occupation forces raid the village of Bil’in for the second time during the ten hours  at seven thirty in the evening .
The Israeli army forces raided the village of Bil’in with five jeeps  at seven and a half pm of Friday 11/12/2010 and fired tear gas, sound bombs and rubber bullets, inside housing, towards people, then they attacked cafe in the village owned by Tarek Mohamed Tawfiq, where they retained more than twenty young men and asked them about  Ashraf al-Khatib.   Then the people of the village came to the area and the soldiers forced them to leave the cafe, and then they attacked the house of Haitham al-Khatib who is a cameraman for Beit Salem and assaulted him and his wife.   Clashes continued for an hour, then the soldiers left the village.
Note: this raid is the seventh in four days.

If you liked this article, please consider making a donation to Australians for Palestine by clicking on the PayPal link
Thank You.
Bookmark and Share

Add a Comment

required, use real name
required, will not be published
optional, your blog address