- Ynet News: Report: UN to demand Israel pay Lebanon $1 billion, by Roee Nahmias (6 September 2008).
Quote from article “UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will demand that Israel pay Lebanon $1 billion in compensation over damages caused during the Jewish state’s 2006 war against Hizbullah… According to the report, the sum, based on World Bank appraisals, is aimed at covering the environmental and material damages caused by the Second Lebanon War, to neighboring countries as well. The fundamental part of the compensation demanded is for the damage caused to the Lebanese coast due to an oil spill following an Israeli bombing of a southern Beirut power plant, which the Lebanese said had caused ‘an ecological disaster.’”
- Chicago Tribune UN peacekeeper killed in blast while clearing unexploded ordnance in south Lebanon,
Washington Post UN peacekeeper killed by blast in south Lebanon,
both article-versions from the Associated Press (3 September 2008) – he was participating in a mine-clearing operation.
- Boston Globe: UN mission in Lebanon brings inner peace: Troops use culture to combat trauma, by Borzou Daragahi (31 August 2008).
To connect to the local populace, UNIFIL soldiers teach skills to deal with the trauma of war. For example, “Indian troops’ yoga instruction, French troops have taught the many Francophone residents courses in poetry… Chinese troops demonstrate tai chi, and the South Koreans offer tae kwon do… the Spaniards teach EspaĂ±ol… Italians have shown off their pizza-making skills. The UN peacekeepers also offer medical and dental clinics and computer classes, and they have plans to supply more artificial limbs for people wounded by old land mines and other ordnance”.
- Chicago Tribune
UN Security Council votes unanimously to keep peacekeepers in Lebanon for another year, by Michael Weissenstein, Associated Press (27 August 2008).
- Washington Post
Sleepy valley is unlikely focus of Mideast tension, by Alistair Lyon, Reuters (26 August 2008) – story of the dispute over the Shebaa Farms, which pits Israel against Lebanon against Syria and against the locals.
- Washington Post
U.N. troops calm Lebanon, but tensions remain, by Alistair Lyon, Reuters (25 August 2008) – this article describes the mission of UNIFIL.
- Washington Post
Around the World: UNITED NATIONS – World Food Program Targets 16 Needy Spots, from News Services (13 August 2008) – the UN has included the Palestinian occupied territories amongst the most neediest spots for food assistance.
- Washington Post
Israel likely to skip next UN racism conference, by Bradley S. Klapper, Associated Press (6 August 2008).
- Washington Post
IAEA approves deal for India’s nuclear inspection, by Veronika Oleksyn, Associated Press (1 August 2008) – makes the connection to Israel’s nuclear program that also is supported by US even though it is not under international safeguards thus making a mockery of the whole system.
- Haaretz Daily News: Arab bloc rescinds proposal to have UN vote against Israeli settlements, by Shlomo Shamir (24 July 2008).
The Western members of the UN Security Council forced the Arab bloc to drop its proposed UN resolution condemning Israel’s continued settlement expansion. The criticism said the proposal was too narrow and should include other factors such as the problems in Gaza such as border closings and the ongoing terrorism.
- Al-Haq - “Al-Haq at the Human Rights Councilâs 13th Session” (24 March 2010).
- Al-Haq - “In the Pursuit of Accountability for âOperation Cast Leadâ; An Analysis on the follow-up GA Resolution adopted on 26 February 2010″ (3 March 2010).
- Amnesty International - “Israel/Occupied Palestinian Territories: Renewed UN call for Gaza conflict accountability welcomed as important shift” (1 March 2010).
- Amnesty International - “Accountability regarding the conflict in Gaza and southern Israel: Written statement to the Human Rights Council, Thirteenth session, March 2010″ (March 2010).
- Amnesty International - “Israel compensation payment to UN ignores rights of Gaza victims” (23 February 2010).
- Amnesty International - “Ban Ki-moon ‘misses opportunity’ on Gaza accountability” (5 February 2010) – quote – “the UN Secretary-General has “missed an opportunity” by failing to make an assessment of the credibility of Israeli and Palestinian investigations into violations during the conflict in Gaza and southern Israel just over a year ago”.
- B’Tselem - “Israelâs report to the UN misstates the truth” (4 February 2010).
- United Nations – Ban calls on Israel to halt eviction of Palestinians in East Jerusalem (3 November 2009).
- United Nations - Special Reports: Israeli Settler Violence and the Evacuation of Outposts (November 2009), quote – “The phenomenon of Israeli settler violence has been, since the early 1980âs, a key factor undermining the physical security and livelihoods of Palestinians in many areas throughout the West Bank.”.
- United Nations – West Bank Movement and Update (November, 2009).
- United Nations – Jerusalem must be capital of both Israel and Palestine, Ban says (28 October 2009).
- Human Rights Watch – UN: US, EU Undermine Justice for Gaza Conflict – Goldstone Report Offers Chance to End Impunity (30 September 2009), quote – “The failure of the United States and European Union governments to endorse the report of the Gaza fact-finding mission sends a message that serious laws-of-war violations will be treated with kid gloves when committed by an ally, Human Rights Watch said today.”.
- United Nations - HUMAN RIGHTS SITUATION IN PALESTINE AND OTHER OCCUPIED ARAB TERRITORIES: The grave violations of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, particularly due to the recent Israeli military attacks against the occupied Gaza Strip (10 August 2009).
- United Nations - Children and armed conflict: Report of the Secretary-General (26 March 2009).
- United Nations - Current Crisis in Hebron: Effects on Palestine Refugees (December 2008).
- International Commission of Jurists – Palestine – Israel – 7th Session of the UN Human Rights Council: ICJ Intervention on the Human Rights Situation in Palestine and Other Occupied Arab Territories – Administration of Justice – Independence of Judges & Lawyers (6 March 2008).
- Human Rights Watch – Human Rights Watch oral statement on Gaza to the UN Human Rights Council (24 January 2008).
- COHRE – On the Occassion of the Sixth Special Session of the Human Rights Council: Concerning Violations of the Fundamental Rights caused by the Blockade and Sanctions on Gaza – On the Matter of Human Rights Violations taking Place in the Occupied Palestinian Territory including Recent Actions in Gaza and Nablus (23 January 2008) – On 23 & 24 January 2008, the United Nations Human Rights Council held a Special Session on the oPt. At this session COHRE released the findings of its position paper Hostage to Politics and raised its concern about the impact that sanctions and the blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip are having on the water and sanitation sectors and hindering the realization of a number of rights for residents of Gaza.
- Human Rights Watch – Human Rights Watch written statement on Gaza to the UN Human Rights Council. Human Rights Watch advocacy document for the sixth special session of the U.N. Human Rights Council addressing the human rights situation in Gaza and West Bank town of Nablus. (22 January 2008).
- United Nations Human Rights Council – Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967, John Dugard (21 January 2008).
- Badil – The ‘Protection Gap’ – The collapse of UNCCP protection, limited intervention by the UNHCR, non-implementation of recommendations of key UN human rights bodies, and inadequate protection by national authorities has resulted in severe gaps in international protection for Palestinian refugees and displaced persons. This is referred to as the âprotection gap.â.
- Amnesty International – Israel/Occupied Palestinian Territories 70th Session of the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD), 19 February to 9 March 2007: Update to Comments by Amnesty International on Israelâs compliance with its obligations under the International Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination (ICERD), by (1 February 2007).
- United Nations - Illegal Israeli actions in Occupied East Jerusalem and the rest of the Occupied Palestinian Territory: Report on Jenin (1 August 2002).
- Badil – BADIL Occasional Bulletin No. 11: The Meaning of UN General Assembly Resolution 194(III), 11 December 1948 (The Right of Return) (April 2002) – This Bulletin aims to provide a brief overview of issues related to Palestinian Refugee Rights